Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Week 14 Newsletter

Dear TK Families and Friends,

I hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving holiday. My hopes is that you were able to find a little bit of downtime during the Thanksgiving rush.  As Christmas approaches, our lives will be bombarded with the hustle and bustle of gift giving.  Let us remember the real reason for Christmas and remind our children of the true gift of Jesus.

This week begins the Season of Advent.  When possible, please take your child to Mass to make observations of the church's colors during Advent.  Ask your child the following questions:

  • What color is the priest's chasuble?
  • Do you see a wreath with 4 candles?  What colors are the candles?  How many are pink? purple?
  • Look for a nativity scene.  What characters do you see?
  • Discuss the songs that you hear at Mass?  Are any of them about Jesus' birth?
I am hoping that these discussion questions will spark a conversation with your child.  We will be discussing these questions during the month of December.

Each week, a different child takes home the Prayer Monkey named Rosie.  Remember to wash the monkey when your child takes it home, as well as, before he or she returns it to school the following week.  Please wash her in your washing machine with cold water and gentle cycle.  If you are unable to wash the monkey before returning it, please put a small note on her when your child returns it.  This way, I can remind the next child that it needs to be washed right away.  This for hygiene purposes.  I will try my best to send home Rosie on Monday of each week.  I am going in the order of their class number.  

The purpose of the Prayer Monkey is to have the child teach the monkey how to pray.  Feel free to bring Rosie around town.  If you wish, take pictures of Rosie with your child and share it on the Shutterfly page.  I would love to see Rosie's adventures!

Before Thanksgiving Break, the first trimester ended.  This week, I will be focusing on assessments and completing the First Trimester Student Learning Assessments (SLAs).  I will most likely not have a lot of work to send home as many of the assessments are hands on.  I will have a detailed report on the SLA to show you where the areas your child is excelling or areas that need a little more review.

Because we are starting the Second Trimester, I decided to simplify a little bit.  Rather than sending home an overview of your child behavior for the entire week, I will be sending a Yellow Slip (an actual yellow paper) and a Red Slip (an actual red paper) when your child makes poor choices.  I rarely give out yellows and reds which makes sending a behavior report at the end of the week pointless.  If your child takes home a yellow or red, it will go home on the same day that the poor choice was made.  In other words, if your child does not receive a slip, he or she made good chocies that day.  I hope this makes sense.  If you need me to clarify, please let me know.

This week's goals:
Theme: 5 Senses

Religion - Creation Story and our 5 senses
Math - Position Words; number 9; counting to 30 with an emphasis on 0-10
ELA - Sequencing - what happens next?   Letter i, r, u
Science - 5 Senses


Have a great week!
Mrs. Paragas

No comments:

Post a Comment