Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Week 2 Newsletter

Dear TK Family and Friends,

I hope you enjoyed your Labor Day weekend.  Even though school just started, I enjoyed that extra day off.

This week, TK will be working on the following:

  • Jesus has special friends called apostles.
  • Practice the Sign of the Cross.  
  • The numbers 0 and 1.
  • Letter recognition Aa-Hh.  
  • Attributes is a fancy word to help us sort.
  • Colors - Primary Colors make more colors
  • Introduction to shapes
  • Introduction to reading (I, see, a)
  • We are all special and unique.
  • The U.S. flag
  • How to read a book (left to right; top to bottom)
  • Parts of a book (front, back, cover, spine, title, author, illustrator)
  • Introduction to the 5 senses (sight)
We are learning the routine and I can see how comfortable your child is becoming.  I can see their enthusiasm for learning and can't wait to feed them with so much knowledge.

During the month of September, I will be conducting a lot of assessments to get a feel of where each student is a the beginning of the school year.  I will send some work home this week, but it will not be as much since I will be keeping the assessments to share with you during our conference in October.

Some things to note:
  • Scholastic Book Order
    I sent home 3 Scholastic Book Order catalogs today.  It is optional to purchase books, but I highly recommended starting a home library to encourage reading.  I do try to send a catalog on a monthly basis but will not during some short months.

    There are 2 ways to order:
    1. Online -  click here to get instructions.  You can pay by credit card by ordering online.
    2. By check - fill out the catalog form and send a check made payable to Scholastic Book Clubs

      Should you have any questions with how to order, please email me and I'll be happy to walk you though it.
  • Birthday Celebrations
  • We will celebrate your child's birthday during a special day each month.  Parents of those children have the option to participate by preparing a special snack for the class.  The snack should be "healthy" and appropriate for the 9:00 am hour.  No cake or cupcakes, please.
    FOOD:
    We do have children with food allergies.
    ALLERGY ALERT:
    Please do not bring the following items during class celebrations:
    NO PEANUTS or NUTS.
    It may be difficult to avoid these other food items, I do ask that if the food you do bring contains the following items, that you alert the teacher ASAP before setting the table for snack. Food with dairy or milk products, eggs, pears, beef, pork, or seafood.

    GOODY BAGS and PARTY FAVORS:
    Please refrain from bringing goody bags in the classroom for the student or teachers to pass out to the class.  I ask that if you do plan to pass out goody bags that you do so at pick-up outside the gates.  It is too difficult for me to keep track of what is inside the bags.  With all the allergies and possible choking hazards, it is best to hand the bags out with the child's guardian under their supervision so they can monitor what they can or can't have.

    PARTY INVITATIONS:
    As much as you'd like to invite the entire class, I do understand the cost and restrictions of having a birthday celebration and the need to cut back on the guest list.  If you plan to invite specific people from the class, you are welcome to do so, but please hand out the invitations outside the TK/K Gates.  This is to avoid other children from feeling left out.  However, if you plan to invite the entire class, you are welcome to give Miss Cuellar or myself the invitation and we will gladly insert them in the folders.  Please do not write specific children's names on the invitation to make it easier for us to distribute.  

  • Homework/Extra Practice Work
    I will begin to add practice work in the Current TK Families link.  Please visit it some time this week.  I will upload it sometime today.
  • Back to School Night is tomorrow at 6:30pm.  Since you have already met with me, there will not be a meeting specific to TK, however, I encourage you to attend the first part of the whole school meeting as Mrs. Hayden will address school-wide information.  This meeting will take place in the hall.
  • Parent Conferences this week will be inside the Ed Building.  Feel free to wait by the TK room and I will greet you there.  Remember, this meeting is for you to tell me about your child.  I will not be giving you a report of how your child is doing at this time.  If you misplaced your "green sheet" and need a guide to help with the conference, you can download it here.
  • St. Irenaeus Parish School Newsletter - if you are not receiving this very, very important newsletter, please make sure to sign up.  you can find it on the school website or by clicking on this link.  This is a must have newsletter by all parents and those involved in your child's education.

Lots of information is being shared as you are trying to familiarize yourself with the school.  If you are having trouble finding information, please let me know.  I am here to help you.

Have a great week!
Mrs. Paragas

No comments:

Post a Comment