Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Week 18

Dear TK Families,

Monday sure was a rainy morning!  We were fortunate that it was dry during our library time we were able to walk over without getting wet.  At the library, the children listened to Tacky the Penguin.  This week we will be focusing on penguins.  They are a very unique creature considering they are a bird that likes to go under the ocean.

In religion, we are discussing sharing is a form of love.  I did an experiment with the children.  After reading  a story, I gave half the class 2 stickers and the other half none.  I saw the sad looks in some of the kids faces.  Some of the children who received 2 stickers also had a long face.  I asked the children how they felt.  Some admitted they were sad.  I remember a child who received 2 stickers saying he was sad.  Slowly but surely, I watched as one student took one sticker and shared it with someone without.  Every student had a special sticker on them.  Eventually the entire class was doing it.  It was my proud teacher moment and I won't lie, I had a tear or two in my eye.  I felt your children's love... the presence of God inside them.

The First Graders are collecting new or used jackets, blankets, socks and other winter items for the homeless.  I hope you can take the time to purge through your closet and share something with someone who is without.  I will be bringing in a big bag for us to fill.  I hope you can join us in keeping the spirit of sharing in our class.

January Mystery Share Presentation schedule will be in your child's folder today.

This week's focus:

Theme: Penguins
Religion- Sharing
English/LA - understanding non-fiction texts; inferring using prior knowledge and pictures; letters p and j,
Math - 2-D and 3-D shapes; understanding 10 frames; number 11
Science - Arctic Animals

Looking ahead:
Book Order is due Friday
Monday, Jan. 16 is MLK - No School
Wed., Jan. 18 is HOPE Can food collection

Have a great week!
Mrs. Paragas

No comments:

Post a Comment